Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 14 July 2020

20mm Turco-Arabic cavalry

Very much spur-of-the-moment conversions!

It started with me thinking about Arabs for the early Achaemenids, then thinking about the headgear of some of the Sea People tribes. At some point I remembered that the Napoleonics had a Mameluk figure and I thought...
Think they look pretty good. Starting with the horse archer, tunic and trousers rather than robes - hence more of a Turkish look rather than Arab.

The lancer is simply the Sarmatian cataphract with bowcase removed and shield added. Being robed, this figure or variations of it  should be able to provide most of the light lance armed Arab cavalry - both mailed and simply robed. So, even if not 100% accurate, I'm quite pleased wiyh how these turned out - and infantry should be easy as well!

OK, those worked, some don't. Remember I mentioned having a look at those East Ethiopians? First attempt looks wrong in just about every way - colour scheme doesn't work, headdress doesn't work... This one could take a while!

6 comments:

  1. The horsemen are really nice Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The horsemen have great flair about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see myself building an army around them:(

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure they'll look at home in an Achaemenid army but I like 'em alot and could see many uses for them over centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally wrong for Achaemenids but will do for early Arab and Turkish armies. I also like them a lot... currently painting up a test Arab archer.

      Delete