Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 8 July 2020

Corps XXIV - Bithynian Thracians.

Based on G15, Peltast with leather armour and shield with javelin and shield - same as the Milyae figures though final product looks a lot different.
Foxskin cap and black tunic. I did make a basic mistake with this unit - thinking 12 figure/24 figure rather than elements - I should have made 18 of them.

Decorated cloaks belted in. I did a mix of plain colour/striped/checkered cloaks to give variety. The cowhide pattern on the shields looks good - haven't got it right for cloaks (see attempts at goatskin cloaks on Lycians to date!)

Figure, simply filed down any armour then built up the cloak and cap from green stuff - I feel I should have textured the foxskin cap, at the moment it does look a bit 'blobby'.

The original G15 - from a time when my painting skills were better.

6 comments:

  1. Very effective Thracians, they look splendid. Boots and Fox skin caps really look the part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've long wondered if the fox skin caps were actually with fur on rather than being tanned. Interesting to see the vertical stripes. My Thracians Bythnian or not had horizontal stripes and zigzags and horizontal dotted lines. Probably rather overdone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically copied Armies of the Greek and Persian Wars which show Hunnic/Cossack type hats that are distinctly hairy. Same to a certain extent with the stripes - in the 70s mainly tartan from Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars - which is also where the black tunic comes from. So I went for a mixture of those two - PBs cap is a cap rather than the full blooded hat on these. I most think most actual pictures of Thracians in Greek art are closer to your description though!
      Incidentally, I have succumbed - busy painting up another 6!

      Delete
    2. One can never have enough Tracians!

      Delete
    3. Tracians/Thracians, all useful even if they don't turn up in time they're still usefull when they go home... via enemies territory...

      Delete