Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 25 January 2021

Wot? More hoplites?

 Well, yes. I did start doing a load of Persians, didn't like the colour scheme, did a few other things then got to doing hoplites. I suppose I must just like having a load of hoplites...

I've gone for a uniform look, all figures wearing the same red tunic and helmet crest and an octopus shield blazon.

It is known that soldiers in Persian armies were at least partially given clothes by the state - for the Cunaxa campaign Cyrus' forces were given red clothing, his brother Artaxerxes troops were dressed in white. I don't know how this worked - may just have been a cloak or a tunic.

I haven't painted these wearing a spolas - instead I've left them in plain tunics as per the mercenary Greek hoplites in Armies of the Macedonian Wars.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. At some pont I'll probably go crazy trying trying to do another 50 of the things :(

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking fellows Rob...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I admit the scheme seems to work well.

      Delete