Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 25 May 2021

Been in the attic 3 - past remnants

 Although I didn't find a lot of the figures I was looking for, I did come across one box of (mainly) plastic figures that mostly go way back to the 70s.

All sorts of things visible - some early Warrier Greeks, Airfix Roman archers, etc, etc

Concentrating on conversions, I had a couple of completed units of 'cataphracts', though only ne was actually finished. Horse armour is simply loo roll.

Greek and Macedonian cavalry conversions - none of these made it to full units, though I did have a unit of Macedonian Phalangites made from Airfix Romans.

Another experiment - seeing how well Airfix Romans would work as Sarmations. On the table, better than the photo suggests!

Somewhere I should have a lot more of these - at Uni and about to go on industrial training for 4 months I needed a lightweight army. So in 4 weeks I painted and converted 40 cavalry - 20 standard javelin cavalry, 10 'Trajanic' horse archers using the top half of the Roman armoured archer, and 10 cataphracts, see above. Already had 100 or 150 legionaries plus the heavy archers. Also, 40 auxiliary infantry, half like this, other half archers made from the Robin Hood set.

Remember when the Robin Hood set figures were green rather than creamish? Still a few lying around...

Finally, did dig out a few Japanese, just not the mass of Airfix ones I was looking for.


8 comments:

  1. I've a couple of boxes like that somewhere hidden away .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the sort of thing that you acquire over the decades.

      Delete
  2. I often by boxes like that on auction sites as they always contain hidden gems, or the extra 5 figures from some oop set I have always needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought books at auction that way - and yes, picked up a few treasures for virtually nothing!

      Delete
  3. Hidden treasure indeed. I'm impressed with the Sarmatian! Brings back memories from the early 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Airfix Romans are a very versatile set as far as conversions go.

      Delete
  4. Love the Esci Polish lancers as Macedonians! Brilliant conversion.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Back in - I think the 80s - I used Airfix ciurassiers for the job. Think these attempts were from the 90s.

      Delete