Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 4 November 2021

Intermission - a WW2 puzzle

 Sorting through some of the things from my mother's things I found this interesting newspaper article dating back to 1942. I don't recognise any of the names but... their is an 'A. MacFarlane' there. My Great Grandfather was called Alexander McFarlane - he died in 1899 so obviously not him! But why else would this article have been cut out if there wasn't some family connection in the photo? Certainly, my family was involved in shipbuilders - four of the fitters who died on the Hood were related. So, were the army wrong with Alexander McFarlane? - unlikely? (the known Irish side of the family were Flynns strangely, that name was changed - they were originally O'Flynns.). Or did the paper get it wrong?

No idea.



2 comments:

  1. Well, my grandfather and uncle were both Angus Macfarlane but since the one was born in Glasgow but emigrated to Montreal in the early 20thC, and the other was in the RCCS (until killed in Normandy), I doubt this one was either of them....

    ReplyDelete