Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 20 November 2021

Minifigs 1 piece 'S' Range cavalry

 These figures have been gradually bought over a period of time in small quantities, hence painting and basing has been held back in the hopes of getting more!

Greeks, Macedonians, Assyrians, Persians and a lone Philistine.

I have enough of the Greeks and Macedonians for a 6 figure unit of each plus a couple of others. They were acquired part painted - for example the Macedonian horse has eyes painted in! I have assumed the 6 figure unit to be the Greeks, the 3 figure unit Macedonians based on comparing helmet designs with the infantry. I have 3 more Macedonians to finish off.

The Assyrians. These were bought unpainted - one unit of horse archers finished, EHC and HC lancers undercoated. I have enough figures for full size units. For the HC I even have enough to make a bigger unit!

Sadly, I only have one of the Persians that came ready painted. I do have a dozen to paint up myself but I won't be reaching this standard! The Philistine came unpainted and I'm afraid I only have this one.

Finished unit of Assyrian horse archers. Being part armoured I suppose I should have used them as heavies, but that would leave me with no 1 piece light Assyrian cavalry!

I also have a painted (needing restoration) unit of Byzantine cataphracts but not sure where they are at the moment!

10 comments:

  1. The figures in the first two photos were some of the first metal figures I ever bought. Sadly only in ones and twos , long since gone. Lovely to see a photo of them and be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own early armies generally included Minifigs infantry and Garrison cavalry. These are the first 1 piece Minifigs castings I've owned.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff - I don't really know much about these one-piece cavalry castings. Coincidentally - I'm just stripping a batch of what I assume are Greek cavalry riders - they look exactly like yours but separate riders - I also have a batch of what look like your Macedonians - again separate riders. Mine came along mixed in with PB Carthaginians and they are similar... more so under a few good thick coats of gloss Humbrol enamel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course in some cases - especially Romans - some of the 'S' Range figures just transferred directly to the early PB 'S' Range!

      Delete
    2. Yes I've heard that - but I couldn't think of any examples - possibly the EIR Roman standard bearer? I don't have great reference for the old 'S' range - just the 72/73 catalogue and the posts on the usual blogs - including this one :) There also appear to have been different designs for some of the models - as you know - but it's not easy to figure out what's was going on. Ah well - the fun is in the hunt!

      Delete
    3. As far as the 'S' Range is concerned 'impossible' would be closer than 'not easy'. Every time I think I've got them figured out something crops up that makes me feel I'm totally wrong!

      Delete
  3. They look lovely Rob…
    I have a bit of a soft spot for one piece Cavalry castings… I think it’s because there is no glueing involved 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto - I always glue the rider to the horse before painting as a matter of course - gives a much better bond.

      Delete
  4. You have a lot of patience to gradually pick up figures as the become available to slowly build up your units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You give me too much credit. I gradually pick up figures as they become available - I would love to be able to them now, it just isn't possible. Plus I have learned over a lot of years to pick things up that I might want/need in future - and purely as I've been doing it for over 50 years some have become viable during that time as a result of this.

      Delete