Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 8 February 2024

Some Sparabara units.

 It occurred to me that I've lots of sparabara units but they're not well represented as unit photos. So I thought I'd put some of them together. One disclaimer - I like the violin shaped shield rather than the actual spara - put it down to artistic licence. 

The original Garrison Immortal fronts this unit. Not a figure I really like because the spear is very weak and tends to snap where it leaves the shelter of the shield.

Most of my spara units are 3 three bases though some are 6. I've also got a few single element units.

A unit of Persians. I should probably do a couple more of these...

And the first of the 2 robed Mede units.


A six element unit of the original Persian archer. I should do more 6 element units.
 
I'm not sure about this unit - it's a lot brighter than the others and looks a little out of place.

My universal archer figure - probably the most useful conversion I ever made! 

Side on view to show off some of the tunic coloours. These are a right mix - like the red/white spara unit the design of some are a bit anachronistic, the frontal stripe design more suited to an Alexandrian based tunic. Still, they look good and help with the irregular look.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these with us Rob. The violin-shaped shield spara look much closer to the ground than my 25mm versions, and thus much more plausible -- are these your own work or modification, or original Garrison designs ? All the best, Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose shield glued to a spear and stuck on a base. I also did a 'proper' spara from a Sumerian shield. I would do a Sumerian army if I could work out how to put the chariot together!

      Delete
  2. Lovely Rob. Ive got a few units of the Immortal and yes the spear is very weak. But still a nice figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit I much prefer my conversions!

      Delete
  3. That has to be the most colourful army I've ever seen. For sheer spectacle, you can go past a lot of colour. I'd like to see these fellows arrayed for battle!
    Cheers
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colourful fits. I might restage Thermopylae using all Garrison.

      Delete
  4. Lovely and colourful! Mulling over a " Persian " army myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shiny colourful Persians Rob…
    The Greco-Persian Wars are very high on my list of things to do…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Persians are a real colourful bunch, but I agree about the 'bright' unit - I think it's all the white on the figure that does it. Pure white is a really harsh colour and is hard to take photos of without it seeming to glare at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you actually analyse my figures as a body, I tend to avoid white a lot more than I should. In fact, just the pictures here - white isn't a major colour on any of the other figures, normally it's very much a background colour.

      Delete
  7. Lovely batch of Persians there - I like the classical look of the Garrison Persians - both the 20mm and 25mm versions. I'm painting up some Persians myself at the moment - feeling inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic colourful troops - a whole army of these will look amazing (hint for later post..)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strangely have been painting lots of plastic Persians for a friend. I think I will do some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good decision. I'm in the middle of painting some Greek cavalry at the moment.

      Delete