Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 19 June 2024

25mm Amazon army

 

Current state of the Amazon army. Not big enough yet for a Review, but seemed they deserved to have some sort of parade.

Right flank guarded by the new conversions. I expect the final army to have another one of these units.

The centre. Pegasus, the general and a chariot in front of a unit of archers. I expect to do a few more chariots plus at least two more infantry units - one of archers, one of spears.

Left flank.  A poorly equipped unit of spears in front of the exotic part of the army. Beastmistress on the right, Sorceress on a tiger in the middle and a bunch of beasts on the end. This part of the army is probably complete unless I add more tigers. 

Zenobia... keep wondering whether I should find a place for her in the army...


A few conversions waiting to be cleaned up and sent away to have a mould made. The ones in the middle with the hoplons would probably make up the spear armed infantry unit, the spearwomen pointing may end up as chariot crew. Haven't checked it yet but the middle spearwomen may be convertible to cavalry as well.
So naturally after writing the above I removed the base from the original conversion and put it on a horse...

No frills on the painting - getting theidea and finishing with this took about  12 hours, though I did do a few other things in that time as well... As a figure, works well and I've also done one for a mould... Quite possible to do a couple of units eventually?


15 comments:

  1. The three spear-and-shield figures in the middle are quite a bit taller than the others. I think the far left and two on the right might be a better size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, but the one in the middle cast better! Fact is they all look OK on the ground.

      Delete
  2. Well deserving of a parade, nice army and when you add the extra units they should be quite a force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is building up to be a nice little army.

      Delete
  3. Turning into a nice wee army.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those bows will be lethal, mainly because no man's going to be able to keep his eyes on the arrows with so many 'enticements' on show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice looking little army… which I am sure will keep growing.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great start - I'm always amazed how quickly you get these things together - looking forward to seeing more of these. If I remember aright, and as I'm sure you know better than me, there is also a model of an Amazon riding the tiger - which makes a great cavalry unit. I'm sure I have some... somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at the middle element of the three tiger units. Don't quote me - haven't checked - but think it's listed as Amazon Enchantress riding tiger'. Painting for me goes in fits and starts - I generally reckon I can do a unit a week or so. Bear in mind most of the figures I paint are less complex than Napoleonic or 7YW, plus painted to a quicker (and lower) standard than yours.

      Delete
    2. Yes I see her! I though she had the tiger on a lead - can't see for looking! Quicker - certainly - but I like the look of your models. It's true to the way they were painted when new with block colours, and they look spectacular as a mass. I've tried to copy a different style, and it's a bit of a ball-ache sometimes... but I've started... so I'll finish. Eventually ;)

      Delete
  7. Nice little force so far Rob - the spear armed cavalry conversion seemed to work out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting there, and the cavalry figure looks like it would be a possible mould candidate.

      Delete