Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 31 May 2022

Garrison Syrian Archers

 OK, first thing - this is one of my 'failed' conversions... the conversions themselves are a bit below standard and the moulds aren't casting all that well - I did this lot a couple of years ago, sorting them for painting I got a dozen useable figures from about 50!

Basically the top half used to be a peltast, bottom half one of the robed figures, new arm with bow attached and quiver added on back.

It's based on figure 24 from the first edition of 'Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars'. Useful as a generic Syrian/Babylonian one shot wonder in the armies of both the Persians and Successors.

These painted figures look OK, it's just that I think I would struggle to get the quantities required to equip my Garrison armies. To put the numbers in perspective, WRG has up to 50 of these in an army - but that 50, depending on the army list, could be LI, LMI, MI or Hordes. Which would give a total requirement of about 200 figures.

OK, that has been achieved with my Minifigs armies,,, must do an updated post on that...  so begging the question 'Why do I 'need' the same in Garrison' At best, that question will only result in a puzzled look on my face. I mean... it's what I do...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like they've all gone out coney shooting to supplement their rations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick on top of a steep hill with plenty of friends in front of to keep nasty people away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's projects like this that inspire the rest of us to keep on restoring and rebuilding armies from the 1970s!

    ‘We proceed, because we have begun; we complete our design, that the labour may not be in vain.’

    Dr Johnson – essay for ‘The Rambler’

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the 70s, I was probably too involved in running things to enjoy other aspects. Today, it's playtime. Far less serious, but probably more fun.

    ReplyDelete