Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 26 May 2022

Immortals finally finished...

 If I ignore the card buildings, it's 3 months since I finished painting the last unit.

This one is a 48 strong unit with the front rank being (original? classic?) Garrison Immortals, back rank conversions. I don't really like the original figure - the spear is very much a weakness and snaps easily.

Still haven't had my eyes tested, but to a certain extent I've used this unit as an opportunity to 'test' my new eyes by giving them heavily patterned robes.

Haven't counted them, but the unit involved painting a total of 4-5,000 'dots' on the figures!

When I do conversions, I usually do half a dozen. Acouple are painted up to see how they look. Others are used for the mould. In the case of the Immortals there are three slight variations.


11 comments:

  1. To me, it looks like the 'eyes' have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought about trying eyes as well, decided against. Used to...

      Delete
    2. Blogger is really being a pain on commenting! Last few days I've also had trouble commenting on other blogs as well - keeps losing my name then not publishing...

      Delete
  2. Look good , very colourful and glad to see your eyes on the mend .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eyes working better is the big plus this demonstrated. Before the op I couldn't focus on that final half a millimetre or so with the result I didn't know how close the tip of the paintbrush was in relation to the model. I literally couldn't have done dots within dots back then.

      Delete
  3. Well the little men are unanimous the eys are a big sucess - a very nicely painted unit.
    I see what you mean about the spears they seem to get thinner just where the stress from any pressure would be focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's the same problem with a couple of Greek figures, G2 and G16. Main problem is that the spears are just too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the Immortals Rob. Its a figure I havent got in my Persian army but I do remember the spears being at risk in a game from years ago. Obviously your eyesight has improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just not practical figures. I have to admit, I much prefer my conversions!

      Delete
  6. Looking good Rob…
    It looks like your upgrade is working well

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete