Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 2 June 2019

One shot wonders

Back in my wargames heyday one of the 'gimmic' armies were the Seleucids. If you look at the 1977 WRG Army Lists, Seleucid armies could field Asiatic archers, 'Irregular D' MI bow@1 point - 20 to 75. The same army list  Late Achaemenid Persian army could field Subject race archers 'Irregular D' LMI bow @ 1point - up to 50. Which meant you couldn't use the same unit in both armies - very unfair. Anyway, as Irregular units could be up to 50 strong, and as command points were 25 per unit, lots of armies had a 50 strong unit of cheap archers that would basically fire once but run away if challenged. They had their uses.

In the early days my levies were based on the S Range Mede archer - 50 of them, of course. However, I soon followed the trend, got rid of most of my S Range figures :( - a couple of hundred of the things overall - and replaced the levy with what was now becoming the 'standard' - PB24, Syrian Archer. I only bought 30 of them though and used them as MI in my Seleucid army - the Achaemenid force I fielded was early.

There must be thousands of these things out there and in recent years I've been quietly acquiring them - usually as part of other purchases. It then became possible to start thinking about the whole levy situation again - though of course I have done this at times in the past, for example.

So I've been putting all the 'near right' figures together, mainly painting hats, bows and quivers so they more or less look compatible, and put it together.

I'm ignoring the MI option, LMI/Irreg Bw are already complete. This leaves LI and Hordes. LI in a couple of lists are an option instead of LMI. I had already acquired a dozen; I decided to double this. Meanwhile, Hordes - can have up to 20 elements of these in DBX, 100 figures of which I already had 30/6 bases, so double this up and do another 6 bases - should do for now.
132 figures looks impressive but... WRG in those days would need to be 4 units, 100 points. Figures 1 point each, grand total 232 points - and a WRG army was between 900-1500 points! Cheap, but not very effective.

This shows the clear difference between the later version in front and the slimmer less detailed first version behind.

Stance is another difference - facing directly forward the later version is easier to put on bases compared to the shooting angle of the earlier one.



Meanwhile, still got some that have been stripped/are being stripped, no doubt I'll get more... at some stage may even get round to the MI option!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes ! I remember WRG Ancient rules - played them a lot at one point in my wargaming life , reading them was like studying a home insurance document .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just missed 2nd edition - deliberate, was going to buy it when I was told 'wait, new edition coming out' so started on 3rd, upgraded to 4th, didn't bother with 5th or 6th then on to DBX.

      Delete
  2. I have one of those 48 man irregular archer blocks of which you speak! It's the PB 24 Syrian Archer - of course - 1 point apiece. Can't remember which edition of the rules it was - 3rd or 4th perhaps - but at one time you could arrange these guys 4 deep on a hill side and shoot overhead - anything that came into range would get clobbered! Nice to see your horde - yes they are impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone had them. I'm sure it was in the unwritten section of the rules.

      Delete
  3. I'm feeling inadequate - my unit is only 18 strong... all the same figure as the group on the right in your second photo, but similarly painted in gloss - a bit redundant now as they don't fit in well with all my Hinchliffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing about these is that is was mostly unintended - I just kept getting them bundled in with other things.

      Delete