Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 3 June 2019

Stinson update

Construction basically finished.

Considering all the approximations, compromises and general bodging that went on in it's construction I have to admit I'm pretty pleased with it. It seems to have the 'feel' of an early passenger plane. Might have to rename it - Peabody RY-1?
With a stand, basic undercarriage added. Ignore the people in the background - that's for tomorrow.

Wheels and prop come from a cheapo Chinese thing - think they worked out at about 50p or so each.

Starting to get there - undercarriage completed, prop in place - going to need some remedial carving/sanding on that front though... Prop is 3 bladed rather than 2 and could have done with being a bit bigger - but does the job.

Like a lot of things here, the undercarriage is a compromise. I chose brass tubing that fit the wheel axle rather than something thinner and simply placing the axle over the struts instead of through them made life a lot easier.

The original Stinson has bits of engine sticking out of the fuselage. At first I worried about this but finally just stuck some paper around the fuselage and glued on some scrap left over from the 6mm tower blocks I had lying around (as in: never throw anything out, it'll come in useful someday.) I have carved the front down a bit more.

And here is the basic completed model. I might paint the door on behind the struts - the struts should have been a bit narrower and the back ones pushed a bit further forward but I went for strength here - didn't want them any narrower. I'll have to put some filling around the tail - it did fit, but as the glue set it pushed up a bit without me noticing.


So all that's left is to seal it a couple of times with PVA, paint it and add lettering. Quick look for decals didn't impress, so probably complete the hand-made look by painting markings as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment