Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 7 June 2019

'Stinson' finished.

Still a few bits of paintwork to touch up and varnishing, but that will take a few more days to complete fully and I thought it best to get this out now.
Initially finished and undercoated but I still wasn't happy about the exhausts (I think/assume that's what they are). Found a box of electrical connectors lying around, stuck a couple on the side and they seem to make pretty good exhausts. And it gets better - inherited the things from my Dad so they would also have been used somewhere around Norman's Riding as well... really milking the connections with this one.

As I said, milking the connection. My Dad won the Pools at one time - would have been a millionaire today, back then £300. Still, he bought his first car with it - a Morris Minor. Still remember the Registration Number - JNL 121.

Side view shows a couple of areas still needing a touch of paint - door and wheels.

Picture doesn't really give a good impression of the windscreen or cowling!

For the lettering I cheated a bit - used a Pentel permanent marker instead of paint.

And that's it. Finished. Personal view? Sure, it's rough, but for me it really does capture the 'feel' of the era - have to admit I'm really quite pleased with how it's turned out.












2 comments:

  1. I think it looks really good and I liked the link to the VRN of your Dad's fist car - it's odd how these things stick - I can remember my Maths teacher's (KVL 846H) but that's another story. Is there one behind the colour scheme? Also are you going to gloss varnish it? I think that would make it even prettier and most civilian planes probably had a gloss finish (if you do I'd recommend a very light spray coat first to seal it in case the pen runs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colour schemes are made up as I go along - but blue seemed a good option as the base colour, red and white tail is very 'American' - lots of certainly military types with a massive red/white tail, but seen quite a few civil as well. Actually overpainted the cowling back to blue - looks bettter. One reason I'm leaving it a few days before trying to varnish it is the pen use - should be OK, but inks do take a long time to dry out properly and being dye based rather than pigment based are prone to run.

      Delete