Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 21 June 2019

A sort of balsa Review

More a quick comparison of some of the balsa tanks and planes I've produced over the decades.
I started with tanks a long, long time ago. Most of those are gone but my 70s to 90s Japanese army had a lot of scratch built tanks and guns.  In those days, I made no attempt at doing accurate wheels - paint did the job. Just noticed that I didn't get round to posting my Japanese gun park, I'm tagging it on the end of this post.

Aircraft more recent - the Sukhoi Su2 is only a few years old. The A13s, on the other hand, followed on straight from the Japanese tanks and I did make an attempt on the wheels. The CS version has an early attempt by me at making moulds and casting in resin.

A comparison between the Sukoi and my nice, shiny 'new' Stinson and Boeing look-alikes.

The sheer size difference between 1/72nd scale (20mm) Sukoi and the other 28mm planes is quite obvious.

Next plane I make I might try and paint the fuselage as much as possible before I put the wings, etc, on - should make it easier. Though at the moment the ones most in consideration (apart from a tri-motor?) would be more Sukois or some Night Witches. I really would like a flight of Night Witches...
And here are some of what used to be a much larger and more varied collection of Japanese guns.Old Tiger road wheels were very useful.






8 comments:

  1. That's an impressive collection of homemade hardware. They look so much moire pleasing than shop bought kits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one extra dimension to the hobby - may not be as 'good' or accurate as professional versions but a lot more satisfying.

      Delete
  2. A wonderful and inspiring collection! I particularly like the tanks with the painted wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I did those I was very doubtful and still feel I should have gone for more contrast on colours - but it does work.

      Delete
  3. OK I'm impressed! I have no aptitude for straight lines and flat surfaces or round things. Figures are so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I - which is why they all have '-ish' at the end of the description rather than being accurate models.

      Delete
  4. What is it about home made, scratchbuilt, hardware that is so attractive? I really like the look of the stuff you have shown here, quite apart from being impressed by their construction. I find balsa a difficult medium in some respects, and prefer to work with cardboard. To each his own, I guess. That Su2 rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, cruder, less detail, less accurate, but I think that they all develop their own personality in a way that making other people's kits doesn't give a model. I'm quite happy with card as well - see my various Tealight Ironclads. Depends what I'm I'm trying to make/achieve.

      Delete