Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 27 February 2023

Plebs: Soldiers of Rome?

Decision made - starting with the Admins Cartoon Romans. Decided to do the grunts first, hence choice of title for the post! After all, this lot are also comedy Legionaries. I went for a simple paint scheme - matt black undercoat and a single colour on top, Allowing the undercoat to show allows for the shading effect on the faces. Changing my normal way of doing things I painted the figures and shields separately - which means a lot of paintwork doesn't actually show... As for the figures themselves, if I had to descibe them I'd be thinking in terms of Jim Henson or Cabbage Patch Dolls.

I wasn't originally going to use this figure. Having cast them I thought 'why not' - gives me a figure I can use as a nominal file leader (assuming the Romans had some - infantry equivalent of the cavalry Decurion?)

The original idea was General, Centurion, Standard Bearer, 6 Legionaries and 3 archers. When I went for the helmetless figures I upped it to 8 Legionaries and 4 archers.


7 comments:

  1. Absolutely love these! The have turned out splendidly!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple, quirky, easy to paint, look pretty good - agree, I also like them!

      Delete
  2. My first thought was of Asterix. (Not that I've seen much of him)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original range includes 2 named Gauls who are probably covered by copyright!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely lovely Rob. These really, really are nice figures. 👏👏
    I did enjoy the original Plebs TV series, but haven’t seen the spin-off TV movie Plebs:Soldiers of Rome yet. I would love to see a model of Grumio and the other main characters.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, the only reason for the title is because it seems to match - the figures were designed a long time ago and based on a completely different set of characters. I haven't seen either the TV series or film - intend to watch the film though.

      Delete
    2. The “Plebs” TV series is very funny. Provided you have an occasionally crude sense of humour. Still, it is funny and I would certainly recommend it. The show, sadly, deteriorated after about series 3 when the character Stylax was written out ☹️

      Delete