Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 28 February 2023

Beachhead 2023

Steven visited this show a couple of weeks ago:

'It has taken a couple of weeks, but I’ve finally put together some photos I took at Beach Head 2023 down in Bournemouth. It was a good size for a day trip with a variety of demonstration and participation games and some useful trade stands. Less than at Salute, certainly, but I was satisfied I had seen all I wanted, unlike Salute, which is always overwhelming. A lot of the venue was given over to tournaments, mostly (but not exclusively), Warhammer.'

Figure 1 View across the main hall

Figure 2 Some of the titans owned by the 'Titan Owners Club'. I want some!

Figure 3 Dorsetshire Regiment re-enactors

Figure 4 A scene from Stranger Things

'I had a fun game of ‘Hunt the Tiger’ based on the Panzergranate rules. I was the Tiger, facing down
five Shermans. I started off from an ambush by a church on a hill in the middle of the board. I took
out a Firefly immediately, but had to reverse down the hill, shooting smoke as I went, after my main
gun was temporarily disabled and I risked being outflanked. I made it to a road hidden behind some
buildings in one corner of the board. To avoid being trapped, I then sped off down the road, having a
running battle with the Shermans as I went, taking out two of them on the way. I spent some time
firing backwards at a pair of Shermans behind me before reaching a crossroads to turn around and
get myself in a better position. Ironically, whilst doing so, one of them got a good hit on me and that
was the game over. Still, I got three out of five.' (Note from Dad - I can remember a version of this at Conventions back in the 70's)


Figure 5 The ambush


Figure 6 Having been chase off the hill, I then steamed down the road, taking out a Sherman that was bold enough to stand in my way


Figure 7 End game. Although I took out one of the Shermans chasing me, the other got me as I was trying to take up a better position.

I got a decent haul too.  I collected some German infantry from Peter Pig for a 15% show discount and no postage.

 I also bought some modelling and painting supplies, much of which were things I would have gotten anyway.

 I bought five Panzer IIIs and would have gotten more if they had them in stock. At least the two platoons I 

showed you previously can get an HQ each now.

The only real impulse buy was the books. Four for £20 (£14.99 each at RRP) was too good to miss.

 

Figure 8 My haul. About £85, plus about £50 for the pre-ordered Peter Pig figures. Not bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment