Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 9 February 2023

Current set up state (states?)

 A number of people are currently posting about their painting set ups so I thought: Why not?

This is the painting desk.After the Christmas tidy up it's slowly getting back to 'normal'. I seem to have stopped painting the Jacklex figures I bought for now, have nearly done  the current batch of Admins and seem to be eyeing up a Burgundian army...

One end of the wargames shed is a workbench. In the corner of the workbench is a high tech spraying booth. The cardboard box does get replaced... just, not really as often as it should. Eventually it will be festooned with painted cobwebs as the spiders move in. Current occupants a couple of S&S Griffons.

The other corner of the workbench is where casting takes place.Although I could keep the casting area on the workbench it's a lot more convenient to encroach on one end of the wargames table.

I'm busy casting at the moment but way behind where I had intended to be. This lot are mostly Burgundians... Currently casting S&S, Medieval and Vikings. The Viking moulds will need sorting and upgrading...

Said wargames table often gets used for other things. At the moment I'm going through everything so it's covered in various masters (etc) I'm sorting. It's also getting piled up with moulds that I'm using or sorting... Limited myself to one photo of this lot - could easily have covered two or three. For example, the storage boxes of masters...

Talking about moulds, these are the 9" ones I can use on my Tiranti. They're stored in a steel shed I've got. The shed also stores other things... First shelf unit are moulds I've had made, coded RY. Next 3 are coded R, ones at the bottom coded G.

This lot were originally just stored in one corner of the shed. They are the 12" moulds I'm sorting that I can't cast from -I've sent half a dozen to Pete Brown so far so he cast a few of the figures that are currently not on 9" moulds, the intention is to go through and a) make it possible to cast more of the figures I've only got on 12" moulds and b) produce moulds that are a bit more organised! Incidentally, mould storage is not as haphazard as it looks. 9" moulds are packed in rough numerical order, up to 25 per shelf.Thus 0-25, then 26-50, etc.  12" moulds in 100s - 0-100 over 2 shelves, ones up to the 600s over 3 shelves. The vast majority of these don't have a Prefix code.

So near future. Catch up on posts. Got one from Steven that still needs processing for a start. Finish current casting session. I'm at least a week behind where I wanted to be. Still waiting for figures back from Pete, I assume he's a bit busy at the moment. He's got three moulds to make and six to cast figures from. I'm guessing that I'll be getting another 6-12 moulds made this year. As to armies. Do Burgundians. Do Chinese and Russian 19thC. Do... well, whatever it is I'll be distracted by next...

8 comments:

  1. You certainly are a busy, busy chap Rob.
    Still, we wargamers always want to have more - whether it’s another couple of skirmishers, a brigade of cavalry or entirely new armies/periods.
    Good luck with the casting. I suspect the S&S, medievals and Vikings you are doing may well be those you are kindly casting for me - completing a couple of my Hyborian armies (Turan, Nemedia and Aquilonia, along with a generic Viking band to see service as various barbarians.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow now that is an impressive set up Rob...you have A LOT of moulds, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was originally told there were about 400 moulds. Personal guess just about doubles that and I've added over 120 myself!

      Delete
  3. Ah the Burgundian range. Id forgotten about them but do remember how nice they were.Thanks Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've undercoated some pikes and archers so far...

      Delete