Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 2 March 2023

'The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold' - Byron

 Putting down a desert mat with a terrain piece on it takes a lot of time and effort. So much time and effort I thought I'd better get a bit more use out of it. It's been a long time since I've used my Minifigs Egyptians and Minifigs/Lamming Assyrians so I thought - why not?

So I decided that the  Amun Division of my Egyptian army would be one side.

This is my current Egyption army. Four 'historical' Divisions plus some extras forming a non-historical Pharaoh's Division. All these are Minifig's 'S' Range - I also have a Garrison army but it's a lot smaller - development of the Garrison army more or less stopped when I bought Harry's collection. There is also a later Minifigs Egyptian and Kushite army. At some time I must sort out some of that lot for a Review!

This is the Assyrian force. Infantry and cavalry are all ex-Harry Minifigs 'S' Range. The General's chariot in the middle is a more recent attempt of mine and consists of a mixed Garrison/Minifigs crew, Minifigs chariot body and Garrison wheels. The other chariots are from my late 70s Lamming army with Minifigs chariot bodies.

These are pretty much my complete Assyrian forces - mostly Minifigs 'S' Range, back ranks from the rearmost  light archers are Garrison and Garrison conversions, chariots scratch built with card bodies.

The armies in this battle have been set up and started to move towards each other...

The Assyrian right flank. The chariots are splitting up to avoid the rough ground.

One of the advantages of solo gaming is when it comes to applying rules. I switch quite happily from treating elements separately or as individual elements. In this case I considered them to be units and the result was devastation! Of the first eight or so dice rolls I think there were about three 1s and 2 2s!

Leaving big gaps!

A view of the situation at this point. On the Egyptian right, the Egyptian archers are seeing off the left flank Scythian horse archers.

The fleeing Scythians have left the Assyrian left flank a bit open.

The centre, mainly composed of spear units, is developing into a slugfest.

While things are beginning to look very interesting on the Assyrian right.


8 comments:

  1. Great looking old skool figures and a great game too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's coming along nicely. I'm really interested in what will happen with those remaining Assyrian chariots!

      Delete
  2. I wondered whether this was anywhere near Apocryphal Wells?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. A lot of the same figures I used in my version it are taking part in this little skirmish.

      Delete
  3. Quality Rob, two of my favourite old school ranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ive always liked the S Range Egyptians and Assyrians. Much prefer them to the later figures they sell today.

      Delete
  4. Very impressive looking collections Rob and the old Minifigs look nice, they were always my favourite 25mm in days of yore....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back then I favoured Minifigs infantry and Garrison cavalry. Today, it's more based on nations - Minifigs for Assyrians and Egyptians, Garrison for Greeks and with Persians it's a draw!

      Delete