Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 14 April 2023

At least half finished...

 Didn't expect to get this far for a while. When I started looking through my balsa pile I managed to find enough of the right thickness to do just about everything. When looking through these please bear in mind two things. Firstly, this is the totally unfinished/crude product, and secondly I used a jigsaw a lot and can't cut a straight line with one to save my life!

Final effort in it's raw state! Had enough balsa to do most of the things I wanted.

The inner harbour.Sea wall on the seaward side, no wall on the harbour side to allow access to boats.

Some of the balsa was recycled wood. Years ago I did a balsa warship that didn't look right so was scrapped. The stern of that boat forms the basis of lighthouse base.

The wall around the lighthouse is an accurate reflection of my cutting skills. Incidentally I was originally going to shape the tops of the seawalls before I assembled the harbour - I decided to assemble everything first to make it easier to handle curved areas/joints.

I would liked the promenade/seawall to extend over the entire width of the board but ran out of balsa. Perhaps later. That triangle of cork will also be replaced at some time.

One thing I hadn't thought about was the need for steps to allow people to get on the promenade area! Initial version is simply from layered cork to see how they look. At some time I will probably put steps in along the whole length of the promenade, either pushing the town or the harbour out of the way to allow them to fit!

 Next job, sanding, perhaps some shaping, cutting the balsa to suggest gaps between stones, etc, then spray everything. Possibly paint/fill the cracks with a mix of green, brown and yellow paint to suggest the gaps between stones. And of course do some steps.

6 comments:

  1. Looks very cool Rob and should not take too much work to tidy up the rough edges with sandpaper and get some paint on it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouldn't take too long as you say. But I've said that before about things. Final final result depends on how silly I get, for instance adding bollards or tyres as fenders, or... whatever...

      Delete
  2. You were right: the new model sea walls do improve on the earlier system. The cork triangle with a beveled outside edge might have the look of a bit shelving shingly beach maybe - perhaps of a harbour that requires regular dredging, perhaps? Your sea port begins to look like a fine holiday spot! (Although the architecture is vastly different, the place reminds me of Khanea or Rhodes...)
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to say 'I'm happy with it' but that sounds like tempting fate... I'll leave it until it's finished. But looking good at this stage.

      Delete
  3. That’s all coming along nicely Rob… I hope ther is going to be an Icecream van somewhere along the promenade.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly.Although as most of the occupants of Seaport are liable to be of at least partly Batrachrian origin I'm not sure what flavours. The ones with black dots in them are not likely to be chocolate chip or currants...

      Delete