Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 12 April 2023

Initial setup completed

Apart from finishing off and adding a few things that are missing (because I don't have them!) this would seem to be a good 'initial finished product'.

The view from the seaward side. I've made a point of populating it a bit.

And from the land side showing back of the village and the fishermen's working area.

The view of the harbour area. It's very much a simplified version of the harbour at Seahouses. Honest. Likewise, the harbour walls are just stylised, almost cartoony, structures - does the job, not as realistic as I might like.

Another view of the inner harbour with Seaport in the background. The advantage of going with the cloth rather than my original idea of tiles is that by moving the blue cloth I can easily represent both high and low tide.

In the original, this side of the harbour consists of rocks. Not having rocks I've just covered the area in vegetation!

This is the industrial/working area. As such, the buildings are acting more as placeholders until I can fill the area with more appropriate buildings etc.

The town part itself uses buildings I already have. This lot will probably not be changed - firstly it would be too expensive while not giving enough added benefit, secondly I'm not sure I could find enough stuff to do the job in a way I would like.

Rear view of the town itself. Actually I'm not sure what to call it - town, village, port? OK, the shop signs aren't in English, but at least it has shops.

 And that's about it for now. Future work may upgrade the harbour walls, etc. Shouldn't be too difficult using balsa, probably too expensive to go for bought in resin. A few buildings for the working area have been ordered, after that I'll probably get pieces to 'superdetail' the thing with various harbour fittings. Meanwhile, it's a workable model harbour.

10 comments:

  1. That has worked out really well and looks the part.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this looks fine just as it is, Rob, and in many ways, a simpler, stylised version is more practical as a gaming surface than a super detailed, model railway quality layout where you can't actually place your figures where you want them to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main areas such as the harbour wall area are open and could easily be a bit more detailed'realistic without affected playability. The main thing that has always put me off is a height thing - it doesn't look right with the sea/harbour area being as high or higher than the town. - having half the board as cliff high is not very practical!

      Delete
  3. Great set up Rob. I especially like the buildings, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buildings are one of those 'can't be bothered' things - I tend to buy second hand already made up Faller, Kibri, Vollmer, Pola or similar ones off ebay. Problem is they're all German rather than English/Old English so for this purpose it's a case of 'they'll do' - main problem I have though is not having many cars, etc, small enough - most are for 25/28mm setups, not 1/87th!

      Delete
  4. That all works rather we Rob…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob -
    Looks fine and functional, and I don't see much wrong with the sea walls/ moles/ esplanades. Except maybe the colour - bit brown, maybe? - but that's not something I would worry overmuch about. I like the architecture, too - just the thing for an old sea port.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually thr cork isn't too bad a match for sandstone, though personally I prefer grey for granite. The main issue really is that I would like a sea wall along the outside edge.

      Delete