Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 14 April 2023

Of course I can't leave it!

I mean, the current setup works but I'm the kind who likes to  just... well, overcomplicate things...

Because of my past purchasing policy of buying lots of balsa bundles (purchasing policy/balsa bundles - glad I'm typing this instead of trying to say it!) I have quite a decent pile of balsa doing nothing - OK, it's resulted in a couple of planes and things but...

So I'm trialling a different way of doing the harbour.

To be fair, even at this rough stage it does look better. How to finish it though - grey or off-white for the walkways certainly, but white or gray for the walls? Grey as natural stone means a lot of work with my Dremmel to give the impression of separate stones, white and I don't have to - it just looks as if the spaces are filled with lots of layers of paint. This is, I think, my current preferred option.

Incidentally, instead of using a plane or craft knife to round the tops of the stonework I cheated and used this little item - a potato peeler. For balsa, a lot easier!

As it stands, I now have to decide how much of the quay can be made by cutting up the balsa I already have and how much I need to buy in of the correct size. Decisions, decisions.

4 comments:

  1. I think stone grey like the picture at the link (https://stockarch.com/images/places/great-britain/stone-piers-whitby-7765) would look best and I think you could incise (impress) the lines between the blocks with a pencil or biro - it is only balsa wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's easy to do, just takes a bit of time. I'll probably compare both.

      Delete
  2. Why leave it alone,when you have all the materials at hand to make it even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started on the latest version I didn't know I had enough...

      Delete