Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 18 April 2023

The Room

 Playtime. About 12-14 hours after starting this I'd finished it, just working on it at odd moments over the day.

Very crudely painted and no furniture yet. No skirting board - found the 'wings' do the job of 'stopping' the walls from going too deep.

Door needs a bit of work! The mat is simply a piece of clipart from the internet; door and windows are bought; everything else was scratchbuilt -well, yesterday looking at the time!. That includes both pictures and the fireplace. For an idea of size, the pictures are 15mm square.

Rather than have lots of separate floor sections I've decided to use one block of balsa for all the rooms I make - should make storage easier!

So that is the first fully working prototype. Quick, easy to make, bit more care and they would also look good!

6 comments:

  1. I do like your room with a view.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It went well considering my main modelling effort for the day was spent working on the harbour stonework!

      Delete
  2. Looks damn good tome, esp for a quick build. I can imagine his wife, if he had one, nagging him, year after year, to touch up the paint where the white spots show chipped paint etc, and can imagine his excuses for getting around to it "tomorrow". Talk about realistic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That paint one rings true:( My initial thought was student or scientist in a cheap boarding house though the figure is more fisherman's cottage. Both paintings, by the way, are directly connected to horror stories I've read in the past. The white you see in grass o the house picture is because the white undercoat was still wet when I put the green on top. Decided I liked the effect and kept it...

      Delete
  3. Nice work Rob....and quick, too! I did the same thing for mats in middle eastern and my Reiver buildings, pulled them off Google, put them in Paint, resized appropriately,printed off in colour , stuck to thin card and bingo, had a batch of them....I did the same thing with 16/17 century portraits, which adorn the walls of a couple of Pele Houses I scratch built....all good clean fun to keep us out of mischief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet has it's uses. I suspect I'll be alternating between painting my own and internet for pictures - as I mentioned, the two I did here are aligned to (more than 1!) horror stories I've read. At some stage I'll see how viable it is to find 'wallpaper' I can use. Meanwhile, time and effort still going into carving stonework on harbour walls.

      Delete