Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 2 April 2023

Messing with a seaport

 At some stage I need to 'design' and build somewhere to base the fishing fleet and possibly cargo ships. As a start, I've started messing about with a few ideas.

To start I'm looking at a harbour. I haven't settled on a design yet - just looking to see what 'might' work. Later, I'll probably check out plans for real harbours.

This simple design, with or without a river, looks quite functional. I don't think anything smaller would work. Things like a lighthouse are currently 'optional' for the village - lots more storylines for isolated lighthouses. This setup doesn't have much behind the harbour so I think I'll need at least 2' more table. That would make it an 8x4' table.

One thing that seems to be working is the use of some old cut up cork tiles for the harbour walls, etc.It's obviously very basic and stylised but looks OK and, as I had the tiles lying around, cheap!

So that's the beginning. Haven't got a name for the place yet. As Newhaven is my equivalent of Arkham - and will/should have it's own dock area - this is the equivalent of Innsmouth. Looking for a range of small craft to further populate the place I've ordered some stuff from Anyscale Models. No idea what they're like, I'll post them when they arrive!


2 comments:

  1. It looks like you are off to a solid start Rob, the layout looks useable as is. Cork tiles are great, I copied the idea of using them for buildings of the Makatashi Teahouse blog, and created several Afghan compounds for my "War on Terror" project - that's about five years ago now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basic layout does look OK and workable once it has thebuildings, etc, behind it. Of course, at some stage I will naturally go OTT on this...

      Delete