Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 9 April 2023

Getting closer

 

This is a cropped picture of the harbour at Seahouses taken from the internet. If we could we would park along the sea wall of the harbour; usually though it would be in the car park in the top left of the picture. The road behind the car park is the coast road towards Bamburgh. The main town itself goes off to the top left.

My 'current' version of the inner harbour is a lot simpler than that.The beach area to the left is still down for beaching boats. The 'car park' area on the original I'm looking to doing as fisherman's huts and workshops. Quite a few of these harbours have a row of multi story houses and hotels behind the harbour wall - usually on raised ground! - and I'm looking to keep that.

This is my present attempt shown overall.There's still a bit of reshaping to do with the harbour. I may try and get the top of the harbour closer to the original.

The general layout of the hotel/multi storied houses section I'm happy with in principal - need to check out housing stock to get a more suitable style of buildings. Trouble is, my HO scale buildings are very Germanic in feel, I would prefer something less continental.

I really don't have anything that looks right for the working area. However, I think that I should be able to either make or acquire suitable structures...

 Current view? Still a lot to do and the final product will look a lot different to this rough second draft - but I think I'm getting there. Still haven't thought of a name yet, but as it's based on Seahouses I'm currently thinking about just calling it 'Seaport'! 

To add to Neil's comment re upturned boats on Lindisfarne, I'm adding a couple of my pictures of them. Anyscalemodels do a version of these.




6 comments:

  1. Great harbour set up! Thanks very much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's getting somewhere near 'there'!

      Delete
  2. It’s certainly starting to come together Rob…
    What horrors are lurking further out in deeper and darker waters…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Innsmouth had a reef. That was occupied. Plus the odd visitor to Innsmouth had issues, so the town itself was a bit of a dark place... lots of possibilities, some old friends others possibly new ideas. But it's going to be a while before it all comes together. (Don't) worry though - I'll keep everyone up to date with progress!

      Delete
  3. Fisherman's huts tend to be wooden structures with a tar / pitch finish. Any sort of wood hut would work. Add scatter of lobster / crab pots, rope etc. Old boats turned over often become useful storage huts: those on Holy Island are quite elaborate.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - I've added a couple of photos of these.

      Delete