Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 12 October 2023

Warrior Greek and Persian Wars

 Although I'm getting on with other things - currently ploughing my way through all those 6mm Leven  buildings - I still keep an eye out for other things. Hinds had a couple of lots of Warrior Greek and Persian War figures on ebay, put in an offer (a lot less than the listed price!) and got them.



Might even paint some of them straight up rather than going  on to my 'to do' list.

OK,top up of what I know (not much) about this range.

It's based on 'Armies of the Greek and Persian Wars' book by Richard Nelson, published in 1978. I found out about them from Ian Beck who bought some - apart from Pony Wars and Huns Ian also had an early Achaemenid Persian army. Anyway, ordered and got some Persians and Scythians, liked them, put in another order and they were out of production. I doubt they were in production for a year! Problem, I think, was size - too small for then current 25mm, too big for 20mm. Pity, they included some nice figures though probably several years obsolete in design. They matched early Garrison figures perfectly.

Go forward a few years and I thought about them as I was running Garrison. Phoned Warrior (think it was still Ray Seaton - not sure if John had take over by then?) Anyway, asked about buying the range or getting some kind of production licence, told in no uncertain terms 'Range gone, moulds destroyed, masters destroyed, not interested in selling the range' end of conversation.

And that, basically, is my total knowledge of that range. I'd have to look, but think I've even got a catalogue with them in!

I should add that it's the only Warrior range that I've even really liked.

7 comments:

  1. Good haul! Interesting batch of figures - I don't really know much about the Warrior range - I remember the adverts but I don't think I've seen the models! I'm assuming 25mm and 70's vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they are that hard to find you did very well getting such a big lot so you can make up a whole unit or two - you must have more troops thna Xerxes by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how many troops he really had and how many troops a figure corresponds to :) - If you go by DBX then each figure represent 500 men - so I only need about 2700 figures to represent the 'official' army. I think I can manage that...

      Delete
  3. Nice find, Hinds are always worth a look. Looking forward to seeing them painted up, Warrior are very hit and miss but do have some nice ranges, shame that they seemed to have closed the business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their main problem is that they were simply the wrong size at the wrong time - but of course fit very well with the Early Garrison Ancients so fine by me!

    ReplyDelete