Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 9 November 2023

Sarmations. Could be Scythians...

 

One of my more neglected armies. These are one piece castings - the original was never (as far as I know) released and was a two piece casting. The one piece version I produced was easier to cast.

I also produced a one piece figure on an armoured horse, used here as an officer. What I didn't do was produce one with a half armoured horse. The standard bearer is simply the standard Sarmation cataphract on an unarmoured horse and with a late Roman standard - there is a mould of this figure as well.

Although Sarmations, these figures would serve just as well as Scythian heavy cavalry. I can see this being a very useful unit in future.

This is a picture of the force that these are joining. Not a very big army yet.

  Need more Sarmations.

10 comments:

  1. Those mounted Sarmations look very colourful - a fine body of horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a lot more colourful than the originals... but I like them.

      Delete
  2. Nice work, they have turned out really well, the opc is a wee cracker, your army is taking shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like one piece castings. I always glue riders to horses before painting, for example, as it produces a much stronger bond. In these cases, the one piece means that it is a lot easier to cast as well.

      Delete
  3. I do like the one piece castings very much. I look forward to seeing this army in action…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a way to go before that happens. It has been sadly neglected over the years.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure they'll get a game soon, an impressive shock force like that is not going to lack inducements from other armies seeling their supporrt as allies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possible exiled to Hadrian's Wall for operations against the locals...

      Delete
  5. Lovely stuff Rob…
    Another thumbs up for the one piece castings…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete