Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 4 December 2023

Review of PE3, PE4 and PEC4 infantry

 One for Anthony! Limited Review of some of the Persian infantry - I'll look at others later on as well.

Having to split it, I've started with mainly LMI based on three figures, these figures would probably form the main infantry constituent of most of my Persian armies.

To start, these ones are all based on the light cavalry figure PEC4 - though some are pretty heavily modified. Total 144 figures.

The archer conversions include both cloaked and uncloaked variations - useful for most Persian armies!

This conversion is likewise useful as a classic 'old school' figure - especially useful as bow armed Cardace infantry (I'll use Kardaka for the late hoplite-painted-as-Persians figure)

These are all straight unconverted PE3 armoured spearmen. Total 84 figures.

Well, apart from the back row of the Bw(X) element. The figure at the back was a Charles Grant figure.

This lot are all based on PE4, the unarmoured Sp/Bw/Sh figure. Total 275 figures.

These are the original PE4. The unit on the left with the blue shields are ones I got from Harry.

This conversion is potentially very useful for Sassanids as well as Achaemenids. The spara/shield is actually from the SKT Sumerian range.

A spearman carryig the archaic violin shaped shield. 

Two figures here I use as Bactrians, etc. One simply had the shield removed, the other is firing a bow. I tend to use them in mixed units.

Spear/javelinman with spear and large round shield. Useful as several of the Xerxes levies. I would have used this as a Kardaka figure but it's a pain to cast!

Like the last figure but witha smaller shield and the same general uses - though not as line Kardaka!

    So that little group totals 503 infantry figures...

11 comments:

  1. Another impressive review, very colourful, super collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, colourful and inspiring!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid…
    I like the description of 503 figures as a ‘little’ group.😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. You like your armies big, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rob. I like how you've produced variety with converted figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I'll cover the rest of the infantry over the next couple of days.

      Delete
  6. The term "horde" comes to mind. I can picture the Greek hoplites opening an extra sack of wine as they watch the Persians deploy.

    ReplyDelete