Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 5 December 2023

Persian Review 2023 - the rest

 

So this little lot includes Assyrians, Egyptians, Lydians/Phrygians, Ethiopians, Thracians, etc...

There are also a few figures that were missed on the previous posts - 14 Bactrian cavalry, 12 Sarangian archers and 6 Indian horse archers.

Except for the last two pictures this lot are just random bits of the army. This is the right flank, basically a light infantry screen including Milyae and Syrians.

Left flank, including Arab archers at the front.

The Indians missed out on having their own army when I got a load of Minifigs. So this archer unit is the only Garrison Indians I've painted.

Assyrians in the foreground, various Asian Greeks behind them. The smaller 'blue' Assyrians are ones I did, 'red' figures are ex-Harry.

This is more of a test unit. I usually paint Nubians/Kushites dark brown but I experimented with black for these. The standard bearer is a Rose figure.

Carthaginian spears pretending to be Phoenicians backed by some Asiatic Greeks. All these figures are ex-Harry, though the original Carthaginians were supplied by me. A lot of figures I sent Harry came back painted when I bought his collection!

The front row are from my original 70s army and are in need of some attention. Behind them are my Hollywood style Carians in black armour.

Phrygian/Lydians. Need more of these for the Lydian army - and the figures for that are just sitting there!

Garrison Phrygian axemen. A 40 strong unit acquired from Harry.

Egyptians. The ones with the falcon shield blazon are more survivors from my 70s army.

Ex-Harry Persian javelins backed by ex-Harry Persian archers. In front of them some converted Milyae.

Various Nubian/Kushite/Ethiopians backed by Thracians and with Arab archers in front.

Meanwhile, thought it might be an idea to round off the army with some Greeks. On the right flank a load of late Greek conversions, to their left a couple of units of Thebans. I admit I don't like that Theban figure - it overlaps the bases too much!

Could have used more but decided to leave the rest of the late Greeks in their box.

So that's it. Not sure, but I might do a separate post grouping the main pictures together as one Review rather than leaving them separate.

This lot totals about 570 infantry plus 20 cavalry - plus, of course, about 250 Greek hoplites!

Ignoring the Greeks, army itself has 2,058 infantry, 521 cavaly, 36 camels, 17 chariots, 3 war wagons and an elephant (not counting the 8 Sassanid elephants!)

13 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed seeing your army reviews, a really wonderful collection, it is quite superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful toy soldier exotica on parade!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Must admit I enjoyed doing it though I hadn't originally intende to include the infantry as well.

      Delete
  3. Truly a sight to behold! Enjoying zooming in on a big screen and checking out all the different units. Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Though many individual figures don't really benefit from close scrutiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice indeed Rob…
    I do like all these different Persian Empire types…
    I actually dug out my copy of the WRG Armies of the Greek and Persian Wars book after looking at your collection… very tempting 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That variety is probably one of the main reasons Persians (historical or not) are one of my favourite armies.Sometimes I just have to paint another unit... doesn't happen with, for instance, Romans.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic - really appreciate you posting these Rob - I love that your 'bits and bobs' amounts to more than most 'armies'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I would call them 'bits and bobs' - there's really the potential spine for about five national armies there, Asiatic Greek, Assyrian, Egyptian, Lydian and kushite.

      Delete
  7. Sorting this lot out on parade must be a bit of an undertaking - the reality of marshalling massive armies must've been a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, it was a useful exercise for me. I'm not what you would call orgamised, so clearing my wargames table then putting figures in the 'right' boxes was a pretty gooduse of time!

      Delete
  8. I remember being amazed and impressed from your previous review (was it really as long ago as 2020?).
    These latest two instalments are jaw-droppingly good!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Things do build up and as for time... wish it would slow down a bit sometimes!

      Delete