Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 5 May 2024

Works in progress/unfinished projects

 Every now and then I like to take stock of where I am - usually after one of my tidying up sessions. In this case, just started looking at ongoing projects and others that I really need to look at...

Ongoing project 1 - 25mm Assyrian/Shem army. The Shem side is finished  - all the infantry and cavalry plus the general's chariot. I'm now painting up some 4 horse chariots - slow work... For the Assyrian side, long way from final army - at the very least, once the chariots are finished I need to do a lot of infantry... got half a dozen units in mind at the moment...

Ongoing project 2 - 25mm Sassanids. Started this lot 3 years ago when I was in an elephant building phase. There is a third clibanarii unit undercoated - has been for a while - and I really must get on with it. A unit of cataphracts, some light infantry and cavalry and the obligatory 50 (elements - so 48) strong levy unit should be enough. Including the undercoated unit that's about 40 cavalry and 74 infantry. 
Some armies need some painting but it's mostly a matter of organising what I've got. In this case my Atlantean army - elephants and cavalry painted and based, just not in this photo - Garrison Carthaginian elephabts, Minifigs 'S' Range one piece Greek cavalry. The infantry component is mainly one of the 'S' Range Greek pike and spear varieties - identfied by me as Greek because the 'S' Range pikes were listed as Greek!

And then there's the ones where I have to hang my head in shame. I still haven't rebased all the figures I bought off Harry... and I got them 10 years ago...

So much to do :)

14 comments:

  1. It's always good to sit back and take stock, can be a bit depressing though, the Sassanid army will be an impressive one when done, lovely looking elephants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives me something to do and look at. Which is nice.

      Delete
  2. Harry’s Persians look great, and they only need rebasing, something that lends itself to a ‘push’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them have been - the Egyptians and Assyrians, for example. And the Carthaginians. The original tranche was 3,655 figures, then there were masses of unpainted figures on top, plus that's only the 'official' list - there were extras. It's just that there are a lot still to do...

      Delete
  3. That should certainly keep you out of trouble for a while Rob…
    Lots of nice colourful troops…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking splendid and certainly puts my efforts recently to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon on a good week I can paint the equivalent of an average 24 figure infantry unit. The Assyrians take longer! Thing is, I've owned Garrison for 20 years - even allowing for 40 weks painting a year that's the equivalent of about 20,000 infantry. Actually a lot less of course.

      Delete
    2. That's an impressive output! I tend to have multiple units on the go in various stages of completion. In theory there could come a time when they are all finished off very quickly, but that hasn't happened yet.

      Delete
  5. 10 yrs? You write that it its a long time!

    I do still like+ the Garrison Persians of both ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I could point out a few units that have been ongoing for 40-50 years...

      Delete
  6. Impressive collections. An example I hope to emulate someday! :-)

    ReplyDelete