Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 1 September 2022

A bit more detailing? Don't think it was worth it!

Tried one with a bit of extra detailing and shading. Helmet and rifle look a bit better.

 

Again, pouch perhaps looks better, piping and backpack detailing doesn't really make it a lot better for wargaming purposes.

 Perhaps the end result is a bit better than the ones I'm doing as 'production' pieces, but overall not worth the extra time - think I'll stick to my current 'wargames standard'.

2 comments:

  1. These days, I'm going the same way - depending upon which armies I'm painting up. Time was, my painting was evolving into more accuracy and detail, but then several years ago my failing eyesight precluded such niceties. Eyesight restored, I've settled upon 'half-way between' (which means whatever I choose it to mean!). I don't go too much on shading but will outline colours and details and such (or at least think about it). I use a sharpie or something similar for that.

    Your figures above don't really need outlining on account of stand-out colours and high contrasts with the base colours, but if you are doing overall drab colours on the figures (khaki, greys, browns, style of thing) outlining can make a huge difference to their look. I found that with my 19th Century Imagi-Nations units based upon Indian sepoys. They tended to blend in with the bases, unlike the other units and other armies..
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking more at detailing rather than anything else - piping etc. Used to outline everything at one time - thing with these would be compatability concerns - outlining some figures but not others. I'd rather stick to one system for all of them and accept hazards such a figures and details blending in. Or just use slightly more contrasting (even if not quite correct) colours to let details show up.

      Delete