Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 21 September 2022

A bit of a Boer

As seen a couple of posts ago, this is the current state of affairs with my pulp/singly based Boer War British force.

The infantry have been 'organised' in two ways. This is a 24 figure 'battalion'.

And here I've replaced some riflemen with 2 extra officers and drummers to make 3 8 figure sections or companies.

I've painted 2 2 gun batteries. Originally I only wanted 1 battery, but as the Boer War range doesn't have specific guns I've been forced to use ACW guns! So I used a Parrot as the 'breech loader' and what I assume to be the 3" rifled ML gun. Not sure if the grey carriage and black barrels are authentic but they look good.

There are currently 2 cavalry squadrons painted. This lot are the standard type...

... And the second squadron is an understrength lancer squadron. These were painted a few years ago, more as a test than anything else, and are due to be replaced by a new 6 figure squadron once that is painted.

Still to do, the replacement lancers and a Highland battalion. With that, this 'pulp' army will be complete I'm not yet sure whether I'll do an element based army in this scale or leave the element based figures to Rose 20mm.

6 comments:

  1. A nice looking little force Rob…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading for a record - two 'armies' to be completed in a couple of months!

      Delete
  2. For me, there is an irresistable 'charm' to toy soldiers for this era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Plus the option of using colourful cavalry dress uniforms:)

      Delete
  3. Good looking gang, almost had me looking to start a new period!

    ReplyDelete