Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 2 February 2021

Some thoughts on costings

Getting towards the end painting a 52 figure unit (1 x 48 plus extra command group so I can use it as 2 x 24) I thought it might be a good idea to post something about costings - especially as I plan on another two of this size units next.

OK, what are the separate elements that make up a figure's cost?

1) The cost of making the original master

2) The cost of making a mould

3) The cost of payment for time spent casting the figure

4) The cost of electricity, etc.

5) The cost of the metal used to produce the figure

Looking at these costs, the original master and mould are already made. As such, there is no further cost to me however many figures I make. As it's my hobby, I don't charge myself for my time. Again, I don't consider that there is a cost involved in this case. 

That leaves two things that do cost money -   and to be fair I have never really costed electricity. I suppose I could and should but...

Which leaves the cost of metal. 

These figures weigh about 8g each. 1kg of metal therefore makes about 125 figures. Metal costs vary - I think my last lot cost a bit over £16 a kilo. If I allow an average of £20 though that would give a good allowance for other factors such as electricity and variable metal costs. That would make 16p per figure.

So that is what I finish up with - a 50 figure unit cost me about £8. 

Which is pretty good compared to buying ready made figures!

(And yes, I fully accept the 'real' cost is a lot more - for example I reckon I need to make about 300 figure to 'recover' the cost of a mould - but those other costs have already been paid so they don't matter when looking at what I'm doing now!)

4 comments: