Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 24 July 2022

And... cruiser finished.

 

I've given it a 25mm crew for the photos - fits well to this model.I haven't added any Nordenfelts. Thinking about it, should probably have put the wheelhouse a bit further back.  Overall, very happy with the final product.

 

The sails are card - tougher than paper - and really more representative than realistic! One problem with masts is that there is just a single point of contact between the mast and spar - adding sails strengthens the structure. Having said that, the sails are just plugged in for easy storage - so easy enough to make a second set of masts later!

 

Masts are quite simple to make. Lie the spars flat, put the mast on top and drip superglue where they contact each other! The black marks are markers - for example, the one at the bottom of the mast tells me how deep the mast fits into the deck. I painted the masts yellow ochre rather than tan - just think it looks better.

10 comments:

  1. That looks the business Rob…

    All the best. Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do think it has captured at least some of 'the look'.

      Delete
  2. Really looks the part. I look forward to seeing it in action…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing planned - the whole shipbuilding thing is like Topsy - 'It growed'.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! This looks absolutely superb.
    Scratch-built is always better in my book.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have to admit I like messing about like this.

      Delete
  4. Looks the thing to me and very attractive.
    Swappable masts? Must remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about a balsa hull - you can pretty much just push a mast in and it stays there!

      Delete
  5. It looks quite splendid. But is it a little over-armed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly, but late 19th C cruisers coveredquite a range of armaments. Looking at about 1880-1890, HMS Iris 13 5" plus mgs and torpedo tubes, Cleopatra 2 x 7", 12 x 64pdr, etc, Curacoa 4 x 6", 8 x 5", etc. I'm not trying to give a "size" on "my" guns - sort of light/medium - but 8 guns probably a good upper end for a model, certainly if I'm doing a larger size model I wanted to get enough guns in to make it 'look' right - 2 fore, 2 aft seemed quite common, a total of 4 (2 each side) seemed about the smallest number that 'looked' right.

      Delete