Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 10 July 2022

Steven's Panzergrenadier company

Latest from Steven:

'I know it has been a while since I sent you anything from my painting desk. I’ve been holding off so I can show you the entire SS panzergrenadier company I’ve been working on. Here they are! 90 figures all based up (the thought occurs you can do a full DBA army with less).

The figures are a mix of Battlefront, Forged in Battle and Peter Pig. The three manufacturer’s figures are compatible – there are differences if you know what you are looking for, but the overall effect is fine – which gives a real variety in the poses.  The uniforms are about two-thirds summer (green) oak leaf camo to one-third autumn (orange) oak leaf camo, so there are very few figures the same. I painted some Peter Pig Afrika Korps figures as SS – the peaked caps instead of helmets provide more variety.

I also spent a lot more time and effort doing the bases. Baueda do a nice range of scenic bases, as well as individual crates, barrels etc. There are some tree stumps and fallen logs I modelled from green stuff too. I took a lot of inspiration from an excellent Fallschirmjaeger army I have seen online. I really like this guy’s stuff.

Some pictures below. As ever, photography has been a struggle. There are lots of details such as the SS collar insignia, and markings on some of the headgear, which just don’t show clearly.'

Figure 1 The whole company arranged into three platoons plus HQ.

 
Figure 2 A more ground level view

 

Figure 3 Figures on the Baueda scenic bases. The far-right (political views aside) figure is a Peter Pig DAK painted as SS

 

Figure 4 The middle base is another scenic base, whilst the other two have individual crates etc added.

 

Figure 5 Another closer view. The middle base has a bomb crater modelled with green stuff (although the SMG-wielding sergeant partially obscures it).

 

Figure 6 Close-up of the HQ (front).

 

Figure 7 Close-up of the HQ (rear). The company commander and the sergeant with the raised hand are each wearing a watch which I modelled with green stuff. They are tiny!

 

Figure 8 The figure kneeling to fire doesn't have a camo cover on his helmet (this is a Forged in Battle figure, and a number of them have camo-less helmets), so I painted the SS decal on the side. Again, it is tiny. I made good use the “psycho” paintbrush for these details. From my research, I think these decals were only on the right side of the helmets.

 

Figure 9 The same base from the other side. The prone LMG team are Peter Pig DAK. This shows the insignia on the Einheitsfeldmutze cap. The standing figure is Battlefront, so this base has miniatures from three manufacturers. I think the mix works well.

 

Figure 10 Close-up of the Lieutenant and his team, showing the SS collar insignia.

 

Figure 11 The tree stump was scratch-made from a lump of green stuff. I have also made use of ready-made flowers throughout the company to give the bases more variety and colour.

 

9 comments:

  1. These units look excellent and your effort with the bases certainly shows them off well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was time-consuming but I am pleased with the end result

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work and atmospheric bases.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to try and do a few bases like that myself. Might have toi ask Steven for a tutorial first though.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Alan. It is nice putting together little 'stories' on each base

      Delete
    3. Dad, yes I can give through the steps in a bit more detail for you if you wish

      Delete
    4. Or you could send it to me and I'll post on the blog?

      Delete
  4. These are hot stuff - who are they going to fight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have some Soviets, but no actual opponent at the moment

      Delete