Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 18 July 2022

Prototypes, experiments and dead ends (failures!)

 When I post things like these ships there is a tendency to think they arrived fully formed with no background history. The simple fact is that they are the result of years of playing around - for example, my Tealight Ironclads article appeared in Miniature Wargames in 2013, and was itself the culmination of quite a few experiments!

So I thought it was about time to post something about the background to my various shipbuilding attempts over the years.

Originally I wasn't even thinking about 20/25mm - my first attempts were to start a small but reasonably'accurate' representations of battleships - they are a bit over 9" long balsa.

I also tried small scale ACW ironclads plus carving something that might represent a 20/25mm torpedo boat!

The definitive Tealight Ironclad was heavily based on the Chile/Peruvian war 1879-1884 ship the Huascar As part of that (I intended doing a load of Rose figures for the war) I decided to do a card and balsa gunboat. Not brilliant, but certainly useable and helped form up a lot of ideas re techniques, etc. One being 'forget the rust, you're not very good at it.'

So getting close to the tealights. This early one was pre-decking! It just doesn't really look right but has, surprisingly, survived intact!

Another early attempt. Actually, it's very basic but I can see myself using it!

This lot didn't quite make it. What they do demonstrate is the flexibility of the basic tealight ironclad hull - and if I want a fleet quick I can churn out half a dozen over a couple of evenings - and that's only because they are best half made and glue allowed to dry before finishing!

The definitive Tealight Ironclad. 'Production' models are simplified - I don't go for the whole sail, except for HMS Warrior types - they look good but I don't have any in one piece at the moment!. Having said that, using the article method the sails are pretty quick and easy to do.

The basic hull is very versatile. Quick, throwaway models they are viable for single use. I've made Greek triremes and thought about Medieval cobs - the cob uses the 2 rounded bows option. Just a matter of sorting the card superstructure - once sorted and on the PC you can print as many as you want.

However, before going down the card line I bought a Reviresco fast patrol boat kit. Instead of building it as intended I used the bits on a card and balsa contraption of my own. Here it is taking part in 'The Terror'

And of course I'm quite happy to use other people's kits - SS Lovecraft by Sgt's Mess

So that's most of it up to the current balsa attempts. Experimentation will continue and I'm sure there will be a lot more successes (and failures!)


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to pretend I didn't read this. I really don't have space for boats.......

    ReplyDelete