Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 16 December 2022

Well, it was a Norman/Saxon puzzle.

When I first acquired Garrison the Normans and Saxons were one of the first ranges I sorted. Always wanted Norman and Saxon armies - as yet, still haven't! So when I saw the HN1 = HS5 I had to check it out. I led me to include scribbles such as the 'Norman chest leather reinforcement' 'Saxon chest nothing' on the page. Soon found example of both...

First thing, they are both based on the same figure. In this case, HN1 as HS5 master (on the left) obviously had the leather reinforcement filed off!

They also had different shield designs...

Plus the sword scabbard layout is different.

 Purpose of this post? Well, mostly because it shows that there is nothing simple about Garrison! Lots of figures were based on other figures and sometimes the join showed. That's already been shown with the Medieval horses - but carries over to the Normans...

I've identified these three as unbarded Medieval horses.

These three I've identified as Norman horses...

OK, What criteria did I use? Well, main one I've gone for are the reins. Horse at the front Norman, back one Medieval. Look at those reins - Norman standard type reins, Medieval have that triangular look. OK, you say, they all have their code stamped underneath - what's the issue? Well... The code under the 'Norman' horses are ME9, ME10 and a plain HNC. Codes stamped on the'Medieval' horses are GC1, EWC5 and MEC2... But of course ME9 and ME10 are Men at Arms - so there is a good chance that the ME9 and ME10 codes are actually correct!


So if I start changing some of the codes on the Admins Range... there is a reason...

An example: This figure is listed as AD160, Jennie Greenteeth. Personally, I think it's a better fit for AD082, Spectre rising up out of the floor...

 
Having said that, the current AD082 also looks the part - it's just that the previous figure fits it better - this one's already out of the ground!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like sorting these out and cataloging them accurately will give you many hours of harmless fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have seen the fun I had during my various attempts at sorting out the various Napoleonic Ranges!

      Delete