Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 11 February 2016

More on Assyrian chariots

Well, my 'S' Range Assyrian chariot force is now pretty much finished.

To recap, when I bought the Assyrians they had three chariots. This seemed a bit short of what was required, so I embarked on a process of re-allocating some other chariots to a new master.

 First, the 'light' 2 horse chariots. I now have a total of  16 in service including the general.

The general is in a repainted chariot using some of my original 45-46 year old figures. The charioteer is the only genuine 'S' Range charioteer in my army, the rest are all conversions of something.

These are the original chariots that came with the army. Everything else  has been painted in an attempt to match their painting style.

This lot have Garrison crews. The charioteers were originally converted from the armoured slinger, the archer is a Roman.

These two units have 'S' Range crews, charioteers are converted spearmen painted by me, other figures have just been retouched a bit, for example shield patterns.


These, looking at the rein dividers, are actually the only genuine Assyrian chariots here - the rest I assume to be Persian imposters. Originally they were going to be an integral part of the chariot force, but have been relegated since I acquired and painted most of the above. Hence I haven't repainted them or anything, just stuck them on new bases and replaced the 'original' Persian crews with Assyrians.


Next, we come to the heavies. These are a right mixture.

The general is a Minifigs 'S' Range, crew are both Garrison - the standard bearer has a standard from a 25mm Garrison cavalry figure.

Horses are 'S' Range cataphract horses. I think that this was the only one Minifigs issued, so you ended up with an Assyrian cataphract horse whatever Nationality your figure was. I 've got enough of these horses and chariots to do 3 more chariots, but I'm in no hurry - 3 is enough for most of my uses plus I've got another 4 with Lamming horses and crews anyway. The charioteer and spearmen are the early 'S' Range spearmen, the archer some of a batch of later EA Range figures.

Finally, and I appreciate they are not chariots, this bunch of light spearmen have been used as bought and just rebased. These figures also provided most of the charioteers of the light chariots. There seems to have been a variation of this figure - one of the charioteers  I used is shieldless.

8 comments:

  1. Very impressive (I particularly like the green chariots.... very much hoping to do some old school ancients myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The figures may not be technically the best or most accurate, for me it's the fun element that's important - and they're fun.

      Delete
  2. They look wonderful. Nothing quite like Chariots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these are great - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great looking horde. All they need now are some sheep to dsecend upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got plenty of sheep. I think they're called Egyptians.

      Delete