Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 30 August 2018

My first Stalin?

Possibly, possibly not. If so it dates back to the mid or late 60s.

In favour, it's unpainted and has the original transfers. Back then I tended to paint everything - so an unpainted tank must be early. Add to that the fact I didn't use Stalin 3s - usually they got converted to Stalin 2s or KVs...

Against are the tracks. Did Airfix back then make black tracks or were they all that silver grey colour?

So, I like to think that this was one of the first tanks I made, but have to admit there are doubts.



4 comments:

  1. I seem to recall both color tracks on different Airfix kits that I bought in the 70s. I could be wrong but I was buying the Airfix diorama sets and remember the M3 grant with black and a Panzer IV with sliver for example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty certain in my own mind, but this would have to be about 1966-7 - long before either the Grant or Pz1V were issued. So? - not 100% certain, could be as late as 1970, can't see it was any time after that.

      Delete
  2. I can only remember the silver tracks on early Airfix kits but I never had the Stalin kit - just Shermans and German assault guns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a quick attempt to find out but... the only picture that seems to date from then is box art - and the picture shows brown tracks!
    http://www.vintage-airfix.com/military-vehicles/series-176-scale-c-58_59.html

    ReplyDelete