Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 29 August 2018

The Russians are Coming!

Actually they've all been around for quite a while, it's just that I've only now started to get them together and sorted a bit.

Basically all I've done is spray them all olive green... and that's it. As they come from lots of different sources and manufacturers - and a couple of different scales - they're a bit of a mixed bunch. Frankly, regarding size differences, 45 years ago I would have been horrified. Today? They're toy soldiers for playing with... I know, it's sad, isn't it. Back then I used to agonise over mixing manufacturers and worrying about 1/76th or 1/72nd. Now, well, some of these are bigger than that.
The current force - sure I'll find more lying around at some stage.


Not sure of manufacturers - front one Airfix? back one Frontline?

Should have compared 3 here - front one old Airfix polypropylene toys with the hollow bases and little wheels inside, back one unknown plastic.

This T34/85 should have been in the above picture, instead I put it next to a Frontline T34/76. The bigger one is a die cast model and more 28mm. Not sure if it was one from the Works - probably.

The SU100 is definitely from the Works, The SU85 is Frontline.

Lastly 2 metal light tanks - either T60 or T70, can't remember. Likewise, can't remember who made them.
So, that's the nominal 20mm Russian tank force - at some stage I'll start putting it together in organised units. Not sure when of course.




6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There's a lot of 'old' kit and periods I'm getting round to sorting - semi-retirement has it's advantages in terms of time available. Though it's still never enough.

      Delete
  2. Look absolutely fine to me.You are correct about how we have changed. I used to spend ages researching colours of turnbacks and epaulettes and then finally realised its the game that is more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Plus I like just lining the things up...

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with you there Rob, I mix from 15mm to 1/87th (18mm) all the time with the occasional 1/76th put in to cover those hard to find minis in their MTO for that army. They are toys and only representational anyway! Also given that no two miniatures manufactures have access to the same type of ruler apparently, it generally works out ...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add to that where ground scale is different to figure scale and some rules allow for different figure scales for tanks, infantry and aircraft anyway...

    ReplyDelete