Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 30 August 2018

Some Garrison Parthian cataphracts

Though they'll do as Seleucid, Sassanid, Late Roman and anyone else that used cataphracts...

A couple of years ago I modified the Sarmation cataphract by removing the bow case and replacing it with a sword or mace. The intention at the time was to use them in my Seleucid army and I painted up 4 figures to see how they looked. Roll forward a couple of years to now and I've just finished another 16 to enable me to cover the cataphracts needed for a DBA Parthian army.

Comparing the two it's easy to see that my present batch has been painted to a far simpler standard than the originals - for example, armour plain chain mail rather than chain mail dry brushed over a black base.


This picture and the next clearly show the difference in painting style!



At some stage soon I'll do a second unit - the figures are just sitting there at the moment and looking at me...

2 comments:

  1. I like both painting styles equally!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still prefer the original style, but the current method is quicker, easier within my current capabilities.

      Delete