Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 6 October 2022

60's Airfix French Foreign Legion.

Back in the 60's I bought the Airfix fort. It had some French Foreign Legion figures attached, some of which have survived. Back then, my 'wargames' took place outside and artillery fire consisted of throwing clods of earth at them. This lot show the effects of ancient battles...

 
So, first things first a good cleaning was in order!

Based and given covering of PVA glue - OK, accept the pooling to a certain extent, accept the loss of detail, but it should make them a bit tougher!

Total surviving figures... Basic paint job but looks OK, done as pulp rather than 'authentic' - troops should have white trousers but I reckon all French soldiers should have red trousers!

That brown spodge is actually a pistol holster! Also, Vallejo basic flesh doesn't photograph well.

Couple of bases still need touching up a bit. If I choose (and I will) more Foreign Legion troops I'll go with  Jacklex. They should be getting a reasonable amount of business from me in comoing months. I'm currently checking their site daily for when the Chinese come out!


14 comments:

  1. The original version. I remember there being a later resculpt, slightly larger and with more detail. Possibly the only one of the non-WWII sets to get this treatment? I remember attempting to convert some of the old type into ACW Zouaves (Terry Wise articles in Airfix Magazine were to blame).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those articles nearly got me into ACW - did/half did quite a few figures with linen flags (draughtman's linen or something? It was starched and light blue)

      Delete
  2. They have come up very well considering their age! I remember having some of those, may still be in an old container somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were the only useable ones left - on the rest, things like guns disintegrated and ends lost!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I remember both the figures and similar battles in the rockery of our back garden. We also graduated at a slightly older age (12 maybe?) to shooting 1/32 Airfix figures with my neighbours .177 air rifle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never did that, but if a tank was broken I did have a tendency to light a penny banger under it!

      Delete
  4. Good stuff, keep them safe, I lost a load of plastic ACW, nibbled by mice in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep them safeish as long as I can but don't know how long they'll physically survive old age!

      Delete
  5. I remember converting these into ACW zouaves back in the early 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my conversions centred on the Union box.

      Delete
  6. Cracking old toys Rob…
    I suspect if you dug up my parents garden many of these fellows would appear…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the same is true for a lot of us!

      Delete
  7. First box bought with my own pocket money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy days. Before oil prices doubled overnight in the early 70s I could afford 3 Aiifix kits a week with my pocket money. Now...

      Delete