Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 16 October 2022

Generic wooden buildings

I'll be needing to sort Chinese/Indian/generic Oriental buildings in future so...
... I've quickly sorted a village. Basically, made too many of the Arab type buildings so just built over the top of some of them!

A lot of village huts seem to have had verandahs so I thought I'd make one like that as well.

The walls and roof tiles are simply downloaded and printed pictures from the internet rather than 'bought' items. In order to give a bit of variety in the planking I used horizontal planks for the front and rear of the buildings, vertical planking on the sides, doors and window shutters.

One of the downsides of using a wet PVA glue like school glue is that it causes leaching of ink. This does sometimes give strange looking colours - compare the colours here - but overall I actually like the effect! The greens and yellows just look like weathering.

OK, to sum up. I now have a small general far eastern village. Not well made or totally realistic but the overall effect is acceptable. They were also quickly and cheaply produced using materials I already had lying around (do the previously completed Arab buildings count as 'materials'?)

At some time in the future I must extend the building programme to include buildings with courtyards, plus more with verandahs.

6 comments:

  1. These look good Rob - coincidentally, I have a few sheets of pantiles sourced on the web that I recently printed off at work with a view to doing something similar for my Pulp games in the Orient - so I may well pinch some of your ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main thing I find with card buildings is that can be fragile and benefit from a solid base. I've got hundreds of Weston business card boxes lying around spare - when Garrison was in operation I stored figures in them, many are no longer in use for that - and they are a perfect size for 20/25mm buildings. I just build the building around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The buildings look great, the glue seems to have worked in your favour, the tiles look weathered and much more realistic.
    I like card as a building material, it's lightness is quite often it's strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with both points. I like to use card a lot for things, especially if it's for a one off use for something that is later disposable.

      Delete