Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 13 October 2022

Jacklex again. This time Arabs.

Firstly, function. Although these are from the 'Fuzzy Wuzzy' part of the Arab world, I'm looking for generic Arabs. Actually, I would have preferred long flowing robes, but these will do. Likewise, they are wearing a turban rather than the desert Arab Gutrah . Yes, I did have to look up the name!

I suppose a lot of the time I would use these as separate Warband and firearms groups, Wearing the same headress seems to be the norm for different groups/nationalities so I decided all mine would wear red turbans. I very much doubt there is a real red turban tribe out there but you never know! As I'm not bothered about total accuracy I'll be getting some North West Frontier as a bit of variety. Plus I need a couple of distinct chieftains and standard bearers.

The rifle component will possibly be used as a separate 'unit' but that's not a given. I'm not sure how many I will need on single bases - possibly another 20-40 total infantry and ?? cavalry and camels? Or restrict this to very minor skirmishes and use element based for bigger battles. Plenty of combat opportunites against the British or French.
 

For rules I'll give the 'Magdala to Mafeking' rules by Andy Callan a try as they are on the Jacklex website! These don't have rules for attacking an actual fort - I'll probaby do something like roll a die th see if a particular figure is carrying a grappling iron (or ladder!) then roll again to see if it works, then he has to climb the thing and engage in melee at the top. I'll make something up!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you - Jacklex figures are quite neat.

      Delete
  2. These fellows look like they mean business.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, though the photo angle does make the turbans look like blobs!

      Delete
  3. Any particular reason why you went for green rather than the traditional sand for the bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention that in the text - I'll update it! Basically, I'm doing lots of different figures that will be fighting in lots of different places. Most of these would have green as more appropriate so I thought I'd just go for one standardised colour. To spoil that, I did do an earlier element based Boer War unit in sand!

      Delete
  4. Looking good Rob…
    You could probably paint these guy’s up as Chinese as well….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that, thanks. Slight change of hat... Official Jacklex Cinese are still with the sculptor so don't know when they'll arrive, meanwhile I've ordered a few more of these plus some Russians to keep me busy.

      Delete