Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 27 May 2020

Some (very) old moulds

Probably about 40 years ago my father-in-law gave me some old iron moulds. The soldiers look to be in pre-1916 uniforms (ie peaked caps rather than helmets) so I would assume the moulds themselves to be 1930s at the latest. Haven't done anything with them until now because - well, didn't expect to get anything from them!
Mostly very rusty and, frankly, I've never thought it likely I would be able to get anything out of them.

However, three of the moulds showed promise so...

So tried casting figures from them. Very, very crude possibly going to be paintable...

10 comments:

  1. How interesting! Do you know anything else about the moulds' history?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing whatsoever. Knowing my interest in wargaming he simply said he had something I might like and gave them to me. I don't know if there were any toy soldier manufacturers in the Warrington area but it would seem possible - but really that's it. No idea if they were from a small or big manufacturer or anything!

      Delete
  2. Quite attractive in a quaint way. Are they 40mm ish? or?
    Is that mounted figure a general/field marshal in parade dress?
    Could have used an MG mould 5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think the bike rider is about 40mm, the others about 54mm - basically, old toy soldiers. The mounted figure is a hussar - it's the best of the lot.

      Delete
  3. Im amazed you got anything out of the moulds. I do like the mounted chap though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that! I wonder how they were made in the first place.

    ReplyDelete