Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 15 May 2020

Thermopylae 1 - the Greeks and battlefield setup.

Been doing a lot of painting and casting recently but no battles. In fact, don't think I've done anything along those lines this year! Likewise, I've done virtually nothing with Ancients this year. On that basis I decided to do an Ancients battle, but not as a battle, more as a 'set up and tell the story'. It also gives me the chance to use some of the terrain I got off Robbie.
This picture shows the Spartans and Immortals fighting in the Pass.  The rest of the Greek army is in the background - about 170 figures all together. There are 16 Spartan figures - at 20:1, that represents 320 Spartans, close enough to the 300. The Greek army is probably about half the size of the historical army. All the Spartan hoplite figures are Garrison 20mm G3.
One thing about the terrain is that it was made for 6mm figures so hills are not very high - in this picture it's hard to tell that the Spartans and Immortals are fighting at the narrowest part of the Pass!

It's a bit clearer in this picture.

Again, although there were lots of hills on the board, to make it look impenetrable I added lots of trees. I've just used the smaller trees in my collection - they're already taller than the hills as it stands!
So that's the basic Greek force and terrain.  Later I'll start on the Persian setup.




12 comments:

  1. Nice to see your ancients out on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it's been about 5 months since I did anything with Ancients, far too long!

      Delete
  2. Spectacular! The Kiwis were there, or thereabouts, in WW2. It didn't go well. Maybe it was because of all the low rise hills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see these guys on the table still my favourite figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll do some kind of 'bringing everything together' post/posts on my Persians and Greeks sometime - they are my own favourite figures even if they are 'cruder' than some others. It helps that most of the figures are what could be described as production conversions.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I wonder what the odds are of bludgeoning straight under various rule-sets? I suspect most rules would let the massed archery clear the way for you - a bit like the final sequence in the film (I mean the classic not the cartoon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the early stages of the battle archery was never an option for the Persians - heavily equipped Greeks, very narrow fighting area and the Greeks would have simpoly charged down any attempt at archery - the Persians would never have the numbers to cause serious damage on such a restricted frontage.

      Delete
  5. Great look to the figures and table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im really jealous of your Persian army Rob. It reminded me of the one I owned in the 1970's and then foolishly sold. This is one battle I would love to fight, t lacks finese but would still be a very tense affair, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it really lends itself to fighting, but it does lend itself to display - would make a good Salute or Partizan display.

      Delete