Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 24 May 2020

Looking at Garrison Assyrians

Not a review, more a quick case of wondering what (if any) my next steps are with these. Most of my early efforts -  between buying Garrison then buying Harry's collection - were aimed at Egyptian and Assyrian conversions to allow me to extend these armies. My original impetus was to get Paul Ashton of Amazon Miniatures to do them, later...

Anyway, I was in full flow between about 2006 (bought Garrison)  and 2014 (it's that long since Harry left the hobby?) doing things like building up Garrison... then suddenly had an influx of several thousand figures... so virtually stopped everything to concentrate on these. Six years seems a decent amount of time to revisit them.

The Assyrian and Egyptian, I think, still had a lot more promise and perhaps it's time to revisit. However, could be a big job - especially if I tried to sort out the damage I did to the figures by trying the dip method of painting.
One of my smaller armies. Only the cavalry and one infantry unit are 'originals' the rest are all conversions. Of interest is the fact that I used a lot of HaT shields for the Assyrian infantry conversions - buying sets just for the shields proved quite cost effective.

These two give a good indication of my early chariot forces - I had loads of Airfix Roman and Ancient British boxes  from the time a model shop was destocking - actually, thinking about it I think the Airfix ones came from a coin and stamp shop in Newcastle. The model shop in Chester was where I bought masses of Atlantic figures. A couple of the chariots need a little bit of remedial work.

This unit needs the bases repainting - or the unit transferred to the Persian army. I think this is my original 70s Assyrian cavalry unit. That half painted cavalry unit in the link? Still half painted...
So the Assyrians don't need a lot of work - there are some other unfinished cavalry figures lying around, plus would like some Guard infantry with large dished shields, but overall don't think I need to do much with them.




2 comments:

  1. That’s a fine looking and colourful collection Rob...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Have to admit I like cutting figures up and putting them back together in strange ways. To a certain extent I'm putting together about 3 posts in this area that are related - would just be a bit too long as a single post.

      Delete