Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 2 June 2020

Corps XVIII Ethiopians

From the Tiranti moulds with a bit of help from my universal bowman and a standard Persian officer.
12 figure unit of light infantry armed with bows and gazelle-horn tipped spears.

The basic figure is the Nubian auxiliary with the shield arm replaced by one from an archer. Probably shouldn't have kept the ostrich plume but it looks better.

I didn't give this figure a bowcase - that would limit it's uses! As it is, cut off the bow and I've got a shieldless javelin/spearman, cut off the javelin/spear and I've got a pure archer. Being one of the Garrison figures with the choice of ax or spear also helps with the variety!
I'm hoping to greatly extend the range of Herodotus subject races in my armies - most already exist, just not in a 'formal' way.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the figures I remember from the mid 1970's when I saw Derek Sharman's immense Persian army. I loved it then and still love it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have seen the Nubian auxiliary - these are conversions made by removing the shield arm and replacing them with a bow armed arm, plus the universal archer conversion which has a Nubian head, Greek archer body (I think), cavalry legs, base from..something... and random bow quiver from somewhere in the Garrison/SKT ranges!

      Delete