Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 12 June 2020

Later Persian heavy cavalry

Basically just a standard Greek cavalryman with painted trousers and sleeves... suppose a head swap conversion would be practical but helmet works, even if it is technically an obsolete form.

Current intention is to do one unit on half armoured horses and a further three on unarmoured horses. Add this to a few light cavalry units would be a good basis for a late army - already got plenty of Greek infantry and up to 100 javelin/bow/shield infantry will   give a good 1981 WRG force!
Apart from the HC unit I also painted a general's element on half armoured horses.

These figures had already been primed ages ago - seemed like a good idea to paint them with the others. For the body armour I painted on scales using natural steel - which doesn't seem to show up on photos!

The unit is just a line cavalry unit and I painted it in a very plain colour scheme with no frills.

6 comments:

  1. I think I would've just trimmed down the crest to a small portion on the top a bit like the Phrygian cap style helmets of command group - but then again you've got another three units in the pipeline so could try it on some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I was going to convert the helmet to a Phrygian cap style helmet I would probably just have gone for the full head swap and put them on a new mould. A mix of some helmet and some bare headed would be quite effective. Overall though probably noit worth it - it's the side cheeks of the helmet I'm more concerned with but it's liveable with and probably less of an issue than the javelin case.

      Delete
  2. These have turned out splendidly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its frustrating seeing you burgeoning Persian army whilst mine is coming together very very slowly.Lovely stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three things are really helping this. Firstly, cost. The major expense was paid 13(?) years or so ago when I bought Garrison. My only real 'costs' are the cost of lead, paint and any new moulds - I don't pay myself for casting figures oranything. Secondly, time. I'm currently on shielding plus 'retired' so can';t really go anywhere - and my remote teaching hours keep going down on that. Thirdly, goes with 'costs' - suppose it's a 'coronovius benefit' - as it's finance. Not going anywhere, spending no money - Salute cancelled so saved hotel, travel and expensive meals out - in fact, we keep getrting refunds back as all the prepaid thhings are cancelled! So I could afford to bulk buy lead, got two new moulds made, got another 2-3 scheduled, and as earlier have the time to cast and paint more figures... And of course last year was a medical write off as well, so two years basically written off in lots of ways, nice to have some benefits out of it!

      Delete