Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 25 June 2020

Some Arab archers and figures for moulds.

I'm reaching mould overload. Still getting on with converting figures for the Achaemenid Persians plus odd ones I hadn't originally considered. However, some of the figures are basically just adding cloaks - so, although making a mould for these, I'm also trying to do some of the initial units by simply adding cloaks to relevant figures... which reduces the number of figures on the mould as I don't need 'redundancy'.

The first unit were the Arabs. Long term I will be doing lots more - but the initial 12 figure unit for the Early Achaemenid army has been completed as individual conversions.
First Arab archer unit completed, complete with belted cloak.

It's almost a bit of mass production - do enough for the unit, plus the mould, plus allow for total failures!

This lot will be Milyae. The book says short spear with some armed with bows, army list gives 50:50 mix, I'll do mostly spears, few bows - as Ps, doesn't make a difference to factors. This will be the only unit needed but still going to put them on a mould. The conversion itself is a sanded down Greek peltast with a new arm - they are spear or bow depending which weapon I cut off! I'll admit my cloaks are a bit stiff and not really realistic as far as folds go, but they mostly look OK.

Getting on with the Lycians but still not totally happy with the spearman figure. However, the Greek archer figure looks good. I may or may not give the final Lycian unit an officer and standard bearer though these won't appear on moulds.

Getting together enough Holywood Philistines to sort a mould but... will also need figures to act as archers and as LMI/Sea People.... current thinking, not going to appear yet - enough cash being tied up for now, so will  be sorted later in the summer. The standard is from the Rose Egyptian standard bearer - in this case, pretending to be a golden bull. Again, if I do standards and archers they will be one-off conversions.

Syrian archers need to be sanded down and quiver added. For the Seleucids, the list includes LI, LMI and MI options with up to 50 each. If I cover the LI option with Arabs it leaves a 'requirement' ( :) ) for 100 or so Syrians.

Being silly, if I ever do an actual full Lybian army it needs up to 500 figures... I think the Libyans will also be on the late summer moulds to allow for an increased presence. This would really produce a unified Sea Peoples/Peleset/Philistine mould - will probably try for a head swap with the Rose Sherden figure to cover that side. The Achaemenids are already up to quota anyway. Most of the cloaks I'm putting on the left arm - the assumption is that heavy cloaks predated the use of shields for these figigues - hence my pose. However, the picture in Funken has the cloak on the right arm so...
So what about other options to work on? My Scythians/Saka  are already in the army, but only as Sparabara.  One thing I'll be doing is a unit of them as light infantry - the figures are already cast and have been for quite a while.  Meanwhile, as the bowcase is separate on this figure,  a head swap and quiver sets it up as a generic tunic/trousers archer for several armies - while adding a cloak would allow for Caspians... should be easy conversions.

4 comments:

  1. This is gonna be some Horde of figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully exotic army. Your conversions are coming along so well. I particularly like the Libyans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I like the Libyans as well - the 'main' ones are crude early attempts but look good en masse. Which, if I finish up with 500 of the things, would qualify as en masse.

      Delete