Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 14 June 2020

Somewhere in Germany.

This game is the result of three things. Firstly, most of the battlefield is still set up. Secondly, I wanted to see how my latest building aquisitions looked in a battlefield situation. Finally, I wanted to give the Napoleonics an outing (and see how well my modified DBX rules work. Actually I use the factors and elements of DBX but it's pretty much my own set apart from that!) . Two things with that - the building are pretty much obviously German, so French facing Prussians was the only real choice - the Austrian force at the moment consists of 1 gun - and also the French are going to regret being an infantry battalion or two short...
At the start the Prussians are defending a shallow river line while a unit of Hussars keeps watch from a nearby hill. The ford can be crossed at half speed without need of a dice roll, the rest of the river is based on half speed but need of a dice roll. The buildings look good so pleased with that.

French cavalry approaching, Hussars head back to their own lines via the ford. To be honest, don't really know why I bothered having them on the hill to start with.

Ford reached. Note the Prussian battalion straddles the road leaving a gap for the gun to fire down the road - I use a flexible 'yes, they are units but elements can be used independently' system - allows individual companies to be given a separate task.

French cavalry reach a point where they turn off to start forming a battle line.

At this point the French Grenadiers had a slight mishap. Easily solved with a touch of glue but... is it an evil portent for the French?

Here the French right wing cavalry are heading to face the Prussian Landwehr taking fire from the Prussian artillery - no effect. Meanwhile, the French artillery are moving up very slowly - it will take a while for them to get in place and I'm currently wondering about how this will affect the final outcome.

While the French Chasseurs and line infantry start taking up their positions for an assault across the river. I keep thinking about a Prussian Hussar spoiling attack on those line infantry... Also, note only 2 trees suggesting this is move 2 - after move 5 I started again on the grounds I was unlikely to get confused between photos of move 1 or move 6! That use of tree markers to help photo identification works really well.

And that is where I'm up to at the moment.



8 comments:

  1. Definitely a bad omen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, it's not a battle that I really expect them to win anyway.

      Delete
    2. If that's the case they probably threw it down in disgust as the nearest they get to throwing their teddy...

      Delete
    3. Had a second day's play - it's going into the third day... one thing all sides are finding out - cavalry don't do all that well attacking across even shallow rivers...

      Delete
  2. A lovely looking game Rob...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also proving very useful for sorting out the mechanics of my version of a Napoleonics game - I'll try to get the game finished off tomorrow - looking forward to see what happewns!

      Delete
  3. I have to say that the Prussian line are looking particularly splendid in their summer uniforms, Rob. The French don't stand a chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The French have got a couple of ideas about that... though I'm inclined to think you're right...

      Delete